Friday, February 14, 2014

Blogging for Freya: Snow Daze

It's been snowing a lot lately, which is distressing because I live in the South. It's all Obama's fault. If NASA had funding, we'd be controlling the weather with magical satellite lasers or something. THANKS OBAMA.

Anyway, I actually did try to get out and do some art things in the snow. Taking pictures of it? BWAHAHA. No. It's cold outside, are you crazy? No. I put out two lumen prints to see if the snow would affect them at all. It didn't, and the bland, grey light (plus diffusion from the snow that quickly layered on top of them) resulted in pale, low contrast images that barely showed up. So, overall, it wasn't productive. I haven't even scanned the lumens because they're incredibly underwhelming.

However! I did scan something else! I scanned the dead poinsettia I used to make the lumens and I really enjoy the results. I think I'll be spending some time with the dead poinsettia to make some scanograms. I like the curled, veiny leaves and the long, withered stems. They're just appealing.

Also, as a result of the snow, I have two make-up days for my latest DSLR class from the Light Factory. The first of these make-up days is scheduled for tomorrow and, hopefully, we will be heading out to the local botanical garden to photograph in their greenhouse conservatory. It should be a ton of fun... if they're open. I tried calling for hours today and they were closed. Hopefully they open tomorrow. The roads are fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment