Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Blogging for Tyr: Tears of Failure

So, I missed not only Thursday but also Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I've managed to let down Freya, Saturn, Sol Invictus and Luna all in one go. Awesome. But basically, I just didn't have a good post. I still don't, but I'm working on one and this week will be a double-serving to make up for last week's absence.

It isn't that I don't have topics or outlines, I've got a few saved drafts with roughed out articles, but I just couldn't finish any of them. I guess between taxes (my returns are weird this year and I'm worried I did them wrong) and the end of the semester (tons of grading, and some of my students just suck) I've been feeling pretty low recently. Not real conducive to writing good articles, I suppose.

Maybe another factor was that my April 1st post, about a fast way to remove dust from scanned prints, was the most viewed article I've ever posted. It got 300+ hits in one day, which is crazy for my blog. Normally it's just me and the spiders (hi spiders!) but that one seemed to really get some attention. I started getting wound up about what I could write on in order to keep getting viewers and forgot that I'm doing this blog mostly for myself. It's my headspace and, sure, it's great when people get to learn from it and take away something they maybe didn't know before, but that isn't everything. I just gotta keep writing about things I love, or else I'll start to hate blogging and that'd be terrible.


That said, seriously, if anyone knows how to publicize an alternative photography blog and get it out to a bigger community, let me know. I'm terrible at social networking.

No comments:

Post a Comment