Friday, May 9, 2014

Blogging for Freya: Light in the Suck

One of my Featured Entries
I'm actually pretty steamed right now, spiders. As you know from gathering my private information and selling it to advertising companies, I am a professor. I've got mad drama going on right now and it's gone from feeling bad to just feeling mad. I won't go into it further, but it's been a rough week.

However, there has been a pretty damn bright spot. Several weeks ago, Joshua White shared with me a call for entries from Plates to Pixels, asking for artists working with lumen prints. Obviously I was all over that! It was free to enter, so why not, says I? Then I forgot about it for a while, until I got an email from the gallery that the exhibition was up. I skimmed the list of accepted photographers and didn't see myself. That's because I was looking in the "Group Show" section. I wasn't there. I was selected as a Featured Artist!!

I'm truly honored, especially since the other Featured Artists are some amazing folks. I've talked with John Fobes on Flickr, sharing comments and experiences with different types of paper and different exposure techniques. He's very knowledgeable, and he has thousands of lumen prints. While I'm not familiar with any of the other artists selected, I am going to reach out to some of them, because they have obtained some absolutely gorgeous colors and techniques, which I'd like to learn more about. Erin McGuire, for example, has some great blue and deep scarlet tones I want to ask about.

Being a featured artist means the all 13 of my submitted photos were shown in a private gallery, I got top billing and a link to my website. I wish I'd gotten my revised, updated website online before that went live, but I'm working through how to remap my domain name and now I have even more reason to get it up and live.

To sum things up, this week hasn't been great, but this news sure was!

Here's the link to the show: Lumen Eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment